My internet connection was down last night, which is why this is a day late. Please forgive me.
My first full day at Fitness Ridge began with a 6:00 a.m. Intro to Circuit class with instructions on how to use each and every machine. Oh yes, there were two Bosu balls, my least favorite of the resistance training options.
After class, it was off to breakfast at 7:00 a.m., after which we boarded our shuttle buses for our Stop Sign Hike. We rode the shuttle to Snow Canyon State Park, heading off to our 4.3 mile hike which started with a paved trail, followed by a short distance on a paved road, ultimately finishing at the infamous Stop Sign. Since I live in Katy, I’m not accustomed to the altitude of 3100 feet, or the alternating inclines and declines along the way, but I did enjoy the humidity-free weather, which helped me to finish the hike in one hour and thirty-three minutes, twenty-seven seconds. It was a great starting point for me and I definitely plan to improve upon my results.
I feel obligated to share with anyone who hikes that Wright anti-friction socks is a wise investment. It’s the best helpful hint I was given for this trip.
I must say the scenery here is something to behold…the red rock is absolutely breathtaking. You’re surrounded throughout your excursion by these majestic mountains which are kind enough to provide some shade along the way, which is greatly appreciated.
Once we returned from the hike, we had our choice of a pool class or stretching, and I opted for the latter. It was a great way to unwind after the hike and I knew the time spent would significantly decrease the muscle soreness later. While you may wonder why I wouldn’t have opted for the pool, it was scheduled for an afternoon class for me as well, and since I don’t swim, one class in the water a day is enough for me to handle. If you didn’t know I can’t swim, you probably wonder why we have a pool. Who knows, swimming may become my next monumental goal to achieve…I’ll keep you posted.
Lunch was followed by the Budget Lecture, using the analogy of exercise as your income, calorie intake as your expense, and the difference representing your savings. When you have a weight loss goal, you have a “savings goal”. It can be an effective tool, but definitely requires planning, as would be the case with any budget. I did indulge in a twenty minute power nap after the lecture, which gave me the energy I knew I would need for what awaited me. The nap was lovely!
The afternoon was comprised of Circuit Training, Step and Pump, and the aforementioned pool class. While I had never experienced a Step class before, and I definitely enjoyed it, my favorite was the Circuit Training. The course is structured so that you spend two minutes on a cardio machine, then move on to the sequentially numbered resistance machine (two 45 second sets with 30 seconds rest between), moving through the circuit as you continue to alternate between cardio and resistance. Two minutes on each machine keeps it interesting and it allows you to push yourself beyond what you might normally do when you spend 30 to 45 minutes on one cardio machine. I rocked on the cardio!
It was a great day here at The Ridge and I’m looking forward to the 5:00 a.m. wakeup tomorrow as I ready myself for the Cardio Circuit class before breakfast. Am I crazy or what?
Yes, you're crazy, but that's why I love you... : )
ReplyDelete